Thursday, December 1, 2011

What is Compassion???

You may think the answer to this question is very obvious, but I would like to explore it a little deeper. Every year, around this time of year, we hear a lot about showing compassion and there are many opportunities to give to others. While we all hope we are compassionate, I sometimes wonder if the actions we take are really that helpful and compassionate.

Over the last several days, I have had numerous opportunities to give to people and in some instances I engaged in those opportunities.  However, it has also made me think, if I am really doing what is best for the individual.  For instance, traveling like I do, I have had several instances of people approaching me at a gas station or fast food establishment asking for gas, money, food, etc.  I have been amazed that if I offer to purchase food or pay for gas directly, I have often been rejected.  This made me start thinking.....are the actions we take really compassionate or are we just "kicking the can?"

We have all heard the saying, "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."  I think we need to spend more time, teaching people rather than giving to them!  Let me say, I understand in this tough economy, there are many people hurting and with significant needs and I have no problem helping these folks, because I have been there.  I just want to make sure I am helping them.  For instance, if I give someone money thinking they have a legitimate need only to find out they take some outlandish vacation, have I really helped them?  If I give money and they waste it on alcohol or drugs, have I helped them?  What if I give them food, without inquiring to the reason for their need or what they are doing to help themselves, am I really helping them?  I'm not saying just because I give, I have a right to control how they use it, but I do believe I have a responsibility to make sure I'm a good steward of what I have been given.

Our government has created a large group of society that takes no responsibility for their actions but quickly cashes the government check they receive every month.  They take, take, take from the government but do absolutely nothing to help themselves.  Yes, unemployment is high but that doesn't mean there are no jobs to be had!  Take a look around you and notice how many "help wanted" signs you see.  Now, maybe they don't pay what someone would want, but it sure beats NOTHING!  I was raised to work hard and not depend on someone else.  My dad took jobs nobody else wanted, so he could provide for our family, so excuse me if I have no patience for some "Occupy Wall Street" pansy who whines! Get off of your backside and do something! We have a problem when people make more money mooching off of the government and have no incentive to WORK!  Every 26 seconds, a child drops out of high school and most of them end up on the government payroll (there are some that rise up and make something of themselves).  If we just continue this trend, we will soon have a country of no innovation, no incentives, no desire and ultimately no responsibility! We must take action to keep kids in school, provide incentives for hard work and give a hand up not a hand out!

I have indeed been blessed and have much to be thankful for, but I have also worked hard to be successful.  The road hasn't always been easy and I've had to ask for help from time to time, but it wasn't because I wasn't trying to better myself.  I'm proud of how God has blessed me and what the hard work of my wife and I have allowed us to achieve.  I'm proud of my two kids, who have learned there is no such thing as a free lunch.  I will forever be thankful, but that doesn't mean I'm going to take it for granted.  No, I'm going to keep working, keep pushing and keep trying to achieve even more.  It's not greed, it is a strong desire to provide the best life I can for my family.  I know first hand life isn't easy and that's why I want to make sure that my compassion actually goes to those in need.

If you have a need, I will be compassionate but I will also hold you accountable.  Am I wrong????

No comments:

Post a Comment