Sunday, December 11, 2011

What Do You Focus On?

I love watching people!  Seriously, you should try it some time and I promise you, it will be quiet entertaining.  Try this, just watch as people walk by, look at the expressions on their face and try to imagine what they are thinking....shoot, for that matter, make it up in your on head! Ok, maybe I have lost it but I've done this myself and find it quiet humorous!

I also love to find out what makes people tick, why do they act the way they do or what, exactly, are they wanting?  To really understand people, I have found I need to figure out what they are focusing on.  I'm not talking about what they are looking at literally, but what is it they are trying to accomplish.

Now, I know we are all busy and the world seems to be moving at lightening speed, but if we ever realized what  we are focusing on, it would probably reduce our stress level.  I suspect, too many times we are focused on things that really don't matter or since I'm grew up in south Louisiana, "it don't amount to a hill of beans." Personally, I can get so worked up about something, that in the big scheme of things don't matter and later realize, I was worried about something that I should have ignored.  My wife (Lord, bless that lady) has often brought this to my attention and I admit, I have a long way to go to fixing this issue....NO comment needed from said wife:)

All of this has made me start thinking about "what should I be focused on?"  Here is what I have determined:

1) My relationship with God- now I'm not trying to get all spiritual on you but if that relationship isn't right, you will never find fulfillment.

2) My relationship with my family- my wife and kids are the most important people in the world to me.  If you don't fall into that group, then you just have to understand. Here is the deal, when all the rest of the world forgets about me or moves on, those 3 folks will always have my back.  Outside of my immediate family, I care about my extended family.  I know we all have some "weirdos" in the bunch and you folks know who you are, so don't make me start calling names, but yes, I care about you too.

3) My relationship with my friends---I'm not talking about the "friends" that are friends when they need something. I'm talking about those, "died in the wool, I'll walk through hell, kind of friends.  Those folks that know you can be just plain ignorant and they don't care.  People that time and distance may separate you from but they are still your FRIEND!  Yes, I have a few of those and I appreciate all of them.

If you don't fall into one of those groups, don't get all "hot and bothered."  I'll still do my best to treat you right and be a good citizen, but just understand you don't make the Top 3 of my areas of focus. You may come in a close #4 or #5 and you will have to just settle for that... unless you somehow can crack of the other areas and the God slot ain't changing.

So why don't you just give it some thought...."what do you focus on" and is it really important.  I bet, it will change your perspective on a lot of things and probably make you a better person.

Now, go do some people watching:)

No comments:

Post a Comment