Sunday, December 18, 2011

What does it really mean to be a Christian?

Ok.....so we hear so many people these days profess to be a Christian. Now, I'm not saying I have all the answers or I'm always successful but I have been thinking a lot about that word and what it means.

I honestly believe the word has become so common, we no longer really take the time to think about what we are saying, when we say, "I'm a Christian."  I won't take the time to go into a biblical discussion about exactly what the word means, but I hope I can at least make us think about it.

In its roots, the word Christian means "Christ-like." Now, I can only speak for myself, but that seems to me to be a very powerful meaning and unfortunately, I fall short more than I would want to admit!  My limited understanding of Christ, is that He wasn't interested in fitting into anyone's specific mold.  Religious leaders of his day were unapproachable, untouchable and were more interested in hype than substance.  If I read my Bible correctly, Jesus hung out the uneducated, ate with sinners and impacted those He met everyday.  In fact, the religious leaders of his day are the very ones who wanted to kill him! Now, I wonder why that was.......I'm guessing because he revealed their fraud and in doing so, provided an example for us to follow today.

I could go on, but my point is not to give a Biblical lecture, but rather make us think about how me may be identified in our daily responsibilities and how we might really become a Christian.  I'm confident we all recognize a real Christian when we see one.  To me, I am identified as a Christian, not but what I profess but how that profession is translated into action.  A Christian isn't someone that just shows up to church a couple of times a week, but rather, someone that actually lives what they learn at church!  It isn't saying one thing and doing another.  It isn't taking advantage of the goodness of others. It isn't using scripture to achieve my own agenda. It isn't just my words, but in fact, how I live those words out every day!  Some may have a different opinion as to what a Christian is but I think we all know when we see a real one!

Please understand, none of us are perfect, least of all, yours truly, but it is my hope that we all try to continually live better. We are in the perfect season of the year to reflect on being a Christian and I, for one, hope those I come in contact with, at least recognize my desire to be a real Christian!  Maybe, just maybe, if we really thought about what the word means before we use it, we might actually show the world what a real Christian looks like.

Have a Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment