Sunday, October 16, 2011

What Is Your Strategy?

Now, I know most folks don't set around and meditate about their strategy.  Honestly, most folks probably don't ever think about strategy and may not even have one.  That is a problem!

The Good Book says, "....without a vision, the people perish."  Strategy is simply a vision about what you are wanting to accomplish and how you plan to do it.  Your strategy doesn't have to be perfect, because strategy is about thinking, doing, learning and adapting.  If you aren't learning in life, you aren't paying attention. There are going to be bumps in the road, you're going to make mistakes and if you take the time to think about your mistakes, learn from them and adapt along the way, I guarantee you will see your vision come to pass. Author Stephen Bungay says, "strategy is thoughtful, purposive action" and unfortunately, I believe our problems are caused by too many people being too lazy to actually take action.

You may be wondering, "why do I even need a strategy?"  Great question and the answer is very simple.  Most folks want to get a good job, paying them good money, earn enough to provide a good life for their family, find a great spouse, have a happy marriage and raise responsible children and see them have successful lives as well.  Guess what.....those things don't just happen!  You have to take action every day in order for these things to become a reality.  I'm strongly believe the reason for high divorce rates, broken families, unhappy children and many other problems in our world, are the result of too many not having a strategy, that will lead them to a better life. Too many, simply put their life on cruise control and figure what ever happens, happens.  Really???  Do you really want to leave such important things in your life to chance?  I don't think we do. We just simply don't take the time to really plan for our future success.

I don't claim to have all the answers and I've made my share of mistakes but, I have also learned from them.  I've made a decision to not sit passively by and hope things work out.  No, I try to take action several times a day to lead me to a better and more fulfilling tomorrow.  I'm not going to depend on school teachers, college professors and pop culture to teach my kids values.  I'm going to do it!  I'm not going to let someone else show my spouse and children what love really is....I"m going to do it!  I'm not going to depend on someone to give me money and support me....I'm going to work!  I'm not even going to depend on my church to show my family how to live a better life and plan for eternity....I'm going to do it!  You see, that is my responsibility as a spouse and father!  It is also my strategy to a happy life and it's working pretty good so far!  How about you join me and let's make this world a better place?

No comments:

Post a Comment